Car Tyre Checklist
- The legal minimum tyre depth for cars is 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the tyre circumference.
- Tyres must be suitably inflated for the purpose in which your car is being used (heavy loads, long distances, road conditions).
- Tyres must not have a cut, in excess of 25mm or 10% of the tyre section width, whichever is greater, which is deep enough to reach the tyre’s internal structure.
- Tyres must not have a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure.
- Tyres must not have any ply or cord exposed.
- You can be fined up to a maximum of £2,500 and given a driving licence endorsement of 3 penalty points for driving with illegal tyres.