For customers who would otherwise be unable to afford the type of vehicle they need, Motability UK may be able to offer financial help. This could include the Advance Payment for a car, adaptations, driving lessons or a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV).
Motability may be able to support you by:
- Advising you about cars and adaptations that would meet your needs; some of which may be available at a low Advance Payment
- Arranging a lease extension on your current Motability car if it is still suitable
- Arranging a mobility or driving assessment to find out exactly what you need
- Considering an application for financial help towards the solution that meets your needs*
If Motability UK is able to provide financial help, you are expected to contribute as much as you can afford towards a vehicle solution that will meet your mobility needs. There is a lot of demand for financial help and they try to ensure that the available money is used to help as many people as possible to become or remain mobile.
What can Motability give financial help towards?
- Advance Payments on standard production cars. This is the one-off upfront payment on a car.
- Adaptations such as swivel seats and wheelchair hoists. More basic adaptations, such as hand controls, pedal modifications and steering wheel balls are available free of charge through our Motability Managed Adaptations Programme (MMAP).
- Driving lessons: if you are a Motability customer aged between 16 and 29, you may be eligible for help towards the cost of lessons.
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) for customers who wish to get in a car while remaining seated in their wheelchair, whether as a driver or passenger. Applications for these vehicles can, in some cases, take a little longer and may require a mobility assessment to fully understand your needs.